The Watering Hole
Color craziness on the front lawn of Laughing Elephant…. http://www.mavericksoul.org/blog/2016/9/18/true-colors
At first, there are no words, only feelings. Horrified. Grief. Hatred. Sadness. Anger. Fear. Emptiness. Heartbroken. Loss. Pain. Darkness. Overwhelmed. Hopeless. Helpless. Breathe. Breathe it all in and then exhale all the tension and negativity. And then the words will come. Hope. Forgive. Empathy. Acceptance. Solace. Community. Unity. And most of all….love. LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE IS LOVE. Love big. Love fierce. And for God’s sake: LOVE ALL. Lori
- We Will Be Closed On Columbus Day, Monday October 10!
We will be closed on Columbus Day,
Monday October 10…
Why you ask?
Its a Rhodes Islanders excuse to take a hooky day, go pick apples, walk on the beach , or do something nurturing for yourself ( hopefully outside) before the cold sets in!
Back to normal Tuesday 10/11 🙂
- Yoga and Running with Megan Eddy
Session one is Saturdays beginning June 11 and runs till July 23
Session 2 is Saturdays beginning September 10 till October 22
Our bodies are not perfectly balanced. Our bodies compensate for our imbalances which cause tight muscles to get tighter and weak muscles get weaker. The repetitiveness of running further causes challenges . Yoga will help to strengthen weak muscles, lengthen tight muscles and improve range of motion. This class will introduce you to runner specific poses and routines you can use for all of your pre and post runs.
The mind is just as important as the physical body when it comes to running. Running is 90% mental. Train your mind and the body will follow. Using the breath as a tool to focus the mind, relax the body and conserve energy will make you a better runner. This class will teach you breathing techniques and will assist you in identifying wasted energy.
Saturdays beginning June 11
and runs till July 23
8:30 am- 10 am
30 minutes of yoga
30 minutes of running or walking or combo
15 minute cool down
$10 per session ( please register and pay online)
meet near the big rock at the first park entrance
- Ayurveda Workshops with Lisa Weinberg
This Fall we will have a 3 week series with Lisa Weinberg guiding the way into understanding more about Ayurveda and how this sister science to yoga can work for you!
Wednesday nights 545-645
for the series $75 drop in $30
What Is The Meaning Of Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is a Sanskrit term, made up of two words Ayu and Veda. Ayu means life and Veda mean science or knowledge. It is translated as science of life.
It is one of the most ancient and comprehensive medical sciences of the world.
Ayurveda is a science of your mind, body and spirit. It is a consciousness-based approach to health the brings harmony and balance in all areas of your life.
Find Your Dosha
According to Ayurveda, the five main elements are; ether, air, fire, water & earth. When combined give rise to Doshas. VATA, PITTA, KAPHA
These three doses are found in our body. They are responsible for all biological and physiological functions, and they are present in all of us.
Importance of Gut health in Ayurveda
Agni & Ama
Agni, the digestive fire is responsible for digestion, metabolism, and conversion.
Ama , Undigested foodIncomplete or partially digested food is left behind in the digestive system.
A properly functioning Agni and digestive system is critical to good health.
- Vinyasa Krama- A Master Class with Theresa Murphy
On Sunday October 16 from 1230-230 Come experience Theresa Murphy at LEY!!!!
To register click here
Come immerse yourself in the depths of asana practice.
The word vinyasa is composed of two words: vi = order + nyasa = placement; and the word krama means “the uninterrupted sequence of events from beginning to end”; so the entire term means “the ordered placement of the sequence of events.”
Usually shortened simply to “vinyasa,” it refers to a flowing sequence of asanas linked by breath and intention. In this special class we’ll go thru a complete practice in that we’ll move in all directions.
This class is for seasoned students of asana, as we will practice more complex shapes and advanced asana. My definition of an advanced student, however, is one who knows how to take care of themselves and how to modify more complex shapes into shapes that are digestible for them.
It’s encouraged that students attending this class can push up into urdhva dhanurasana, kick up to handstand, can fully flex (bend) both knees, and can fold into lotus (or know how to modify). Students with less experience are welcome, but might learn more by watching at times!
Want to know more about Theresa ? click here
- Handstands and Arm Balancing with Bristol Maryott
- Practice with Bristol Saturday 11/12 from 1230-230 $30Jivamukti Inversions: Sthira Sukham Asanam
Finding Steadiness & Joy in Inverted PosturesInversions demand what we call dharana or complete absorption in the object, in this case staying balanced upside down! This focus helps us quiet the mind and be present. In a headstand you can’t help but pay attention! Inversions are a great way to refine our dharana and evolve a steady understanding and practice of the breath, bandhas and drishti. When we drop in to this focus, we feel simultaneously expansive and grounded and our highest intention unfolds. We’ll especially focus on cultivating steadiness and joy as we go upside down; we’ll approach these challenging postures with a lighthearted sense of fun and a calm confidence that all will come with practice.
We will begin with a dynamic vinyasa sequence to align and open the shoulders. We will then focus upon inverting, both on our own and with partners. All levels of yogis (except complete beginners) will benefit from trying these fun and interesting poses, especially with modifications, props and partner work. We will balance with expansive backbends, grounding forward bends and a long, juicy savasana to finish.
- Embody Love Workshop
- Monday Night, November 14 from 6-9pmThe Embody Love Workshop will take you on a transformational journey into self acceptance. Women will be given the opportunity to see themselves and their peers through new lenses, ones that do not condition love based on external appearance or limit worthiness to a particular waist size… Lets create a conversation that moves away from “i’m so fat”, “i’m too thin”, “i don’t look good enough” to “I have Purpose”and I am worthy of love and respect”, and ” I have so much to offer”…This is an interactive workshop that does include a 50 minute yoga practice.. In addition to that we have discussion around Media Literacy, a Body Image Project, Change Your Talk, Make a Commitment, and a Journey to Self InquiryThis experience will be guided by Debbie Valois who is honored to be a certified facilitator of this program developed by Melody Moore, founder of the Embody Love Movement
cost is $25 and your full payment will be donated back to the Embody Love MovementSession is limited to 20 womenthis session is for women ages 20+ …
- Restorative Winter Solstice Class with Megan
- Sunday December 4 from 4-6pm$30With Megan Eddy and Aeriel Arthur ….Enjoy two hours of full relaxation by candle light while soaking in the sounds of live music! Class will entail 8- 10 poses that are each held for around ten minutes. Blocks, bolsters, blankets and sand bags are used to support the body for the duration of these poses. This support triggers the parasympathetic nervous system which causes the body to relax and give out a big sigh. In a world filled with uncertainty, restorative yoga helps the individual feel safe, secure and supported.
This is not by any means a physically demanding practice. Poses are very passive and relaxing.
During the class Aeriel will be offering participants Reiki. Reiki is a Japanese ancient healing technique used for stress reduction and relaxation. It is a non intrusive energy based practice that goes perfectly with restorative yoga.
- Am I Hungry , A Mindful Eating Program with Jessie Dwiggins
- Starting January 9, 2017- February 27, 2017Meeting Monday nights from 6-7:30pm$325 with booksAm I Hungry?® Mindful Eating ProgramFinally! A program to stop the diet rollar coaster so you can eat what you love without guilt – and live a healthy life.What You’ll Learn:Discover simple, yet powerful approaches for knowing when, what, and how much to eat. Overcome emotional and mindless eating. Eat the foods that you love without guilt – or overeating.Choose nourishing foods – without confusing nutrition jargon or diet rules. Find ways of moving your body that you truly enjoy and aren’t punishment for eating. Free up all the energy you lose obsessing about food or your body to build health and joy.Are you ready to find your inner expert?
- 2017 Yoga Teacher Training- 200 Hour YTT with Coral Brown Initiate, Integrate, Illuminate.
Starting February 2017
200-hour Yoga Teacher Training
with Coral Brown LMHC, e-RYT 500 and Guest Teachers
A teacher of teachers, Coral Brown is known for her integrative, lighthearted approach that fuses the energetic, creative energy of vinyasa yoga with her experience as a holistic counselor. Coral is a licensed mental health counselor and draws on 20 years experience of in yoga, philosophy, and holistic counseling to provide fertile, open space for the processes of healing and transformation. She has trained in the Iyengar and Jivamukti methods and is a senior teacher of Prana Vinyasa flow, leading teacher trainings, retreats and workshops worldwide. Coral is a regular contributor to Yoga Journal and has featured classes on Yoga Vibes and OneOEight.com. Learn more at CoralBrown.net
This 200hr teacher training program is a yoga alliance certified Prana Vinyasa style training. Students can expect in depth exploration, study and practice in the following areas of yoga.
- Study yoga philosophy and the 5,000-year-old history of yoga, with special attention to Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and The Bhagavad Gita.
- Cultivate your personal relationship to yoga, and learn how to live your yoga, on and off the mat.
- Become more body-aware as we learn basics of anatomy, physiology and injury prevention.
- Learn yogic breathing (pranayama), the chakra system and subtle body anatomy as tools for deepening your personal practice and skill set as a teacher.
- Explore basic principles and philosophy of Ayurveda, the sister-science of yoga, for enhancing self-care and awareness.
- Learn the ethics and business of yoga
- Build a toolkit for making a meaningful living from teaching yoga including: how to tell your story and write a professional bio that gets you quality work, and how to stay true to yourself while navigating and benefiting from social media.
- Explore the five movements of prana that serve as the underlying flow of yoga
- Cultivate the flow of prana through asana, pranayama, drishti, and the use of the bandhas.
- Acquire the principles and practice of creative and effective sequencing (beginner and intermediate flows). Learn the ritual and structure of a yoga class: opening, namaskar, waves, peak poses, counter-poses and closing.
- Discover teaching methodologies and integration of the essential yoga principles including bandhas, pranayama, and meditation.
- Develop your objective observation skills, techniques for hands-on adjustments, use of yoga props, verbal cues and other tools.
- Learn the breakdown of the family of asanas, exploring key actions of asanas and recognizing common misalignments.
- Learn fundamentals of yoga including Surya Namaskar, Chandra Namaskar, Classical Namaskar, and four Dancing Warrior Sequences to enhance your self-practice and teach to others.
- Understand, apply and teach sequencing principles such as vinyasa krama, wave sequencing and the 3-part vinyasa method.
- Learn to create vinyasa combinations for both beginner, intermediate, and mixed-level students that are safe, effective and inspired.
- Continuous practice teaching and teaching labs to bring out your authentic teaching voice and style.
Each weekend immersion is Friday 4:00pm-9:00pm and Sat/Sun 8 am-6pm
- February 24
- March 10
- March 31
- April 21
- May 5
- May 19
- June 9
Investment: $2600 (payment plans are available $400 per month over 8 months, month #8 is $492)
*This cost covers all weekend modules, monthly Prana Flow Immersions, and a comprehensive manual written by Shiva Rea.
*For those interested in deepening their practice without teacher- training certification the investment is $2300.
*As a registered student you will also enjoy special discounts at Laughing Elephant Yoga on workshops, yoga classes and clothing purchases.
- The desire and commitment to deepen your knowledge and love of Yoga.
- The ability to compassionately share space, thus creating a sacred environment for learning and transformation.
- The will to surrender to the flow of your natural life rhythms.
Program Requirements for Certification:
- Attend all weekend modules
- Attend 10 public yoga classes with Coral, Debbie or an approved teacher.
- 3 Living Sadhana Cycles
- Embodiment Project
- Sacred Reading List and Book Projects
- Final Exam; written and practical
- Complete two online study modules with Shiva
Complete and return the below application with a non-refundable $108 deposit to
Laughing Elephant Yoga
4372 Post Rd East Greenwich RI 02818
All questions should be referred to Debbie Valois at email@example.com